Engaging Clients in Recovery Through Mental Health Empowerment
This course is a study on interacting with clients with creativity, flexibility and rational judgment. It, therefore, does not follow a fixed structure but examines life analytically. The three sections are not specific courses. The course is the last part. The first two are the preparation to be able to feel at ease using the technique. Thus, an analysis of the subject – the person – as a thinking being, not a machine to be programmed, is the first condition. Then, the ability to understand how a person feels and responds to stress is necessary. Finally, the full ability to use that understanding to influence and empower the other is the final and main activity.
At the end of the course, there will be a challenge – a working assessment and design of treatment process for a real client. I use challenge, not test, as it will evoke a discussion on methods and understanding, not the application of learned techniques. I will ask for a comment on how this is changed from before. The experience will grant the hours, not a test.
The Analysis READ DESCRIPTION
This is a discourse on how to look behind the behaviour and determine the parameters of what cannot be seen – the feelings, thoughts, capabilities, and limitations of the person. It shows how to look into how the client sees the world and their place in it, what are the visions that drive them and the insecurities that hinder them and generate the defensive behaviours. It also shows how to identify and categorize defensive behaviours.
- To complete this section, please examine the first two Volumes of the TUTORIALS section. These are the green menus at the bottom of the page. Clicking on The Analysis and Volume one will show a drop down display of videos, two in the first and three in the second. (2hrs)
- Next, please click the CASUAL CHATS and, in the same way as above, please examine two videos. Under the section, SELF DEVELOPMENT, view “How do you Grow?” and in the section, SELF ASSESSMENT view “Diagnosis”.
- Please now print and read the article in ESSAYS, “An Analytic Approach to Behavior”. This is located in the SELF MANAGEMENT panel in the brown accordion folder. (1 hr)
- Now, please go to WEBINAR and book an audiovisual session. (1hr)
Now that you can seek the information you have learned is important, you will have a lot of knowledge about your client, perhaps more than he/she realizes is relevant. You need to know what to do with it. So, let us examine that in Part 2, Building The Foundation.
Building The Foundation READ DESCRIPTION
This is a discourse on how to engage the client in looking at life objectively. It requires and prepares the counsellor with the ability to place the client at ease while looking at stresses less as impositions that hurt or impede survival and more as challenges that can be used to stimulate and empower. It introduces ways to impart this to the client, first by understanding it themselves, and then displaying it to the clients convincingly. The first level will focus on engaging the counsellor in this understanding. This process of seeing life objectively from an observer state is that of self-actualization.
- To complete this section, please examine Volumes Two and Volume Three of the TUTORIALS section. These are the third and fourth sections of the green accordion menu at the bottom of the page. Clicking on these will reveal a drop down set of videos, each having four videos. (2 hrs)
- Next, please click the CASUAL CHATS and, in the same way as above, please examine the following videos. Under the section, SELF DEVELOPMENT, please view “You are not sheep” and “Mental Strength”. In the section, SELF-ASSESSMENT, please view the videos, “Diagnosis” and “Mental Strength “. Finally, in DRUGS AND DEPENDENCIES, please view the videos, “Substance Use” and “Examining Addictions as a Disease Model” (3 hr)
- Please now print and read the article in ESSAYS, “Chaos and Complexity”. This is located in the MANAGEMENT panel in the brown accordion folder. Next, please read “A Treatise on Stress and Distress”. This is located in the brown panel, STRESS. (2 hr)
- Then, please go to WEBINAR and book an audiovisual session. The materials can be tough reading and viewing. They ask you to think and perhaps, make notes to challenge and discuss in the webinar. (2hr)
How do you feel about your ability to communicate mentally with your client now? Yet, knowing the theory of how people think and what suppresses, or rather did not expand, that salient aspect of human life does not make the client more ready. You have to know how to impart that knowledge and passion to your clients so they will do, not because you have told them, but because they want it. Let’s examine that in the third section, Guiding the Application.
Guiding the Application READ DESCRIPTION
This is a discourse on how to engage the client in looking at themselves objectively. It requires and prepares the counsellor with the ability to place the client at ease while looking at, not the faults and failures, but the blanks that need to be filled and how to fill them productively. This gives hope and, with that, the energy and desire to discover self (self-realization). This will also only focus on building the resources within the counsellor as the first level.
- To complete this section, please examine Volumes Four and Volume Five of the TUTORIALS section. These are the 5th and 6th panels of the green accordion menu at the bottom of the page. Clicking on these will reveal a drop down set of videos, each having four videos. (2 hrs)
- Next, please click the CASUAL CHATS and, in the same way as above, please examine the following videos. Under the section, DRUGS AND DEPENDENCIES, please view “Youth and Drugs” and “Eduardo”. In the section, ABOUT RELATING, please view the videos, “Parenting”, “Managing People” and “Relating “. Finally, in ABOUT EMOTIONS, please view all five videos” (2 hr)
- Please now print and read the article in ESSAYS, “The Lesson of The Canoe”, “Understanding Aggressive and Defensive Behaviors”, and “Self Respect”. These are located in the SELF MANAGEMENT panel in the brown accordion folder. Next, please read “Core Intervention” and “The Genesis of Unhealthy Moods and Behaviors”. These are located in the brown panel, MENTAL HEALTH. (3 hr)
- Then, please go to WEBINAR and book an audiovisual session. Here too, the materials can be tough reading and viewing. They ask you to think and perhaps, make notes to challenge and discuss in the webinar. (2hr)
Would you like to see how this unfolds? Let us examine a real client. It will allow you to feel better about using the insights. Let us do so now. Let me share with you a presentation as a challenge. This will be sent to you privately as I do not want it examined before you reach this stage. Then we will discuss it in a follow-up webinar.
A detailed history of a real client is posted for all to examine, analyze, and develop a treatment plan that both determines and considers mental health empowerment of the client. You will be asked to make your comments and ask the questions you feel will give you a better understanding of the client’s needs and limitations. You will not be judged on this but will be encouraged to discuss it in a webinar. Please book a webinar when you are through (2hrs)
You can ask any question you wish as you study the content by clicking the PRIVATE MESSAGE link. This is secure, private and answered within 24 hours. No response comes to you by email but you will get an email advising you that a response is ready for you to read. You must login and go to your messages to read the response.
If you have not yet done so, please LOGIN or REGISTER in order to proceed with this provocative and informative course.